Monday, April 18, 2011

Fresh Water Words

Recently, my husband and I were able to go and spend time in Florida.  It was so beautiful!  I love to spend time in the sun, sand and water.  The gulf water was warm, blue green and so inviting.  As fast as I could, I was in my bathing suit, running toward the water, and in with a big splash.  As a big wave crashed over me, it swept me off my feet, swirling me under water.  Salt water filled my mouth and nose as I struggled to get back on my feet and get my head above water so I could spit out the salt water and catch a breath.  The Bible says in James 3:9-12  “ With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness.   Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing.  My brothers, this should not be.   Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring?   NIV” A relationship with Jesus and a growing knowledge of the Bible is a fresh water spring. In John 4:13-14 it tells us that Jesus is fresh water of eternal life.
    Even though salt water is good for some fish, it isn’t good for people to drink.  A person stranded out in the ocean will die of thirst because salt water shouldn’t be ingested.  Only fresh water can relieve a thirst.  In the same way a person can be dying of “spiritual thirst” and the only the “fresh Water of the Word” can relieve that thirst.  Life can crash over us, sweep us off our feet, and can fill our mouth with the “salt water words”.  But ONLY words that flow out of our mouth that flow from the fresh water of the Word of God can truly set us on our feet.  To keep our feet grounded on Jesus and praise for God in our mouth, we need to draw and fill our mouth with only fresh water.
   Gossip, rumor spreading, slander, and unkind words are salt water words.  They choke us and never relieve our thirst caused by our circumstances.  Drink long on fresh water and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment