Friday, July 8, 2011

Joyful Days and Nights- Part One

Today my husband and I went fishing.  O.K. I mean my husband fished and I read a book.  It was a beautiful summer evening on the lake.  This is one of my favorite activities.  Sun, water, and family is a perfect equation for happiness.  My husband is happy because he is fishing and I am within arm’s reach.  I am happy because he is happy.  While he is fishing – I am reading.
    However, the happiness I enjoyed on the gently rocking boat ended when at sunset the mosquitoes chased us off the lake.   Happiness only lasts for a short time because it is a feeling based on circumstances. Because circumstances are constantly changing, happiness can come and go. But I’m fine with that because I have something even better. JOY.
    Joy is not a feeling.  It is an attribute of our spirit man and the Spirit of God.  It is a constant because it “springs” up out of our relationship with God and His nature.  The Bible says in Psalms 28:7 “The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped.  My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.”
   Joy is an expression of God’s strength that is available for anyone who will trust in Him.  So even when I am walking through difficult times and I am not “feeling happy”, joy is always with me.  Joy fills my heart and my mouth with a song.  So if you hear me singing, you know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment