Sunday, May 15, 2011

I think I’m a clay pot?!

    More than once while needing a potato or onion for dinner I have found a stinky, useless mess.  Both the onions and potatoes had sprouted.  I knew the environment needs to be cool and dark for them to last.  But I was doing that and they still sprouted and became mushy.  It wasn’t until 28 years of marriage and having a Tupperware party that I learned the answer.  Potatoes and onions shouldn’t be stored together.  When they are, they cause each other to sprout.  They bring out the worst in each other.  The Bible says in  2 Tim 2:20-22  Now in a large house there are not only gold and silver vessels, but also vessels of wood and of earthenware, and some to honor and some to dishonor.  Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from these things, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work.”
    As I look honestly at my life, there are things that need to be continually cleansed out of my life.  Like onions and potatoes there are things that don't go together.   A bad attitude, listening to recent gossip, a crabby mood, and worry can cause me to sprout what is not honoring to God.  They just don't go together with a life pleasing to  God. The Bible says we are to cleanse ourselves.  The thoughts, words, and actions we take to keep our pot cleansed makes us useful and prepares us for every good work.
    Even if I am a clay pot, God says that I can be a vessel of honor, set apart, useful to the Master, and prepared. God makes it clear that it isn’t what is on the outside of the pot that makes it a pot of honor.  A pot of honor keeps the junk out of the pot so that God can set us apart to be useful and be prepared.
I may be a clay pot, but I am beautiful to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment