Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day


    When I think of Labor Day, I think of the labor of those who came before me.  I am very thankful and honored.  I’m also thankful that our country recognizes our need to celebrate the work of those who got us to a place of the “long weekend”!  America loves her long weekends.  The beginning and end of Summer is defined by a long weekend.
    But Labor Day for me reminds me of something even more. Not only the people who have labored before me- but of Jesus.  He is the ultimate Laborer.  Jesus is also the burden lifter.  Matthew 11:28-30 in the Bible says “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
    Jesus desires to give us each rest.  A long weekend can only give us limited extra work and rest.  The rest Jesus gives lasts for an eternity.  As you enjoy your long weekend take on Jesus’ yoke and find rest for your soul eternally.

No comments:

Post a Comment